Monday, February 13, 2012

Princess Cake

All my life I wanted to be a mom and now that I am I LOVE IT!!! I love being the mom that stays at home can make crafts, homemade meals, and someday be involved in things like PTA. So, I set out last week on an adventure to create a Princess Aroura (Sleeping Beauty) cake as we were celebrating both girls  birthday this past weekend. I wanted to share the process and some tips we learned along the way. As I read somewhere last week a princess cake is truly a labor of love from a mom(and in this case and mom and and an aunt thanks to my wonderful sister Erika).








For those of you considering doing this for the first time I will try to lay it all out for you. We did use boxed cake mix. So you begin by baking  2 round cakes (8 or 9 inch) for her platform.(according to box instructions.) We found this gave the extra height necessary for the doll to stand.  Then you  level and layer them. These cakes need to cooled and then may be iced(instructions below for icing).







To make the skirt portion I used Pampered Chef's Classic Batter Bowl. Bake 1 box of cake mix in the baker on 350 for approximately 1 hr and 10 mins. (Remember to test cake to make sure it has cooked through). This portion of the cake needs about 3 hours to cool before being frosted so you may want to cook first and allow to cool while preparing platform. Once you have cooled the skirt bottom and the bottom cakes are iced carefully place skirt on top of platform cakes.

Once on top cut a small hole or X in the top of the cake where you place the doll. Doing this will prevent the cake from splitting when you insert the doll. We chose to next decorate the skirt and add accents to the platform. If you are unfamiliar with cake decorating(as I am ,I am a beginner!) check out Wilton Cake decorating. This is where my lovely sister really came in to teach me:)


If you are transporting the cake I would recommend transporting on this step and finishing upon location as we did. Once you are where you plan to serve the cake place the doll in the center and simply pipe extra frosting around any remaining portion of the doll's legs/hips that are showing.




Helpful Tips:
*Do not try 2 boxes of mix for skirt use 1 box and a platform
*Give yourself a trial day
*Transport without the doll
*Cut a hole or X for the doll to be inserted
*When inserting doll wrap her legs in plastic wrap. This will keep her clean and able to be played with immediately.
*We left milk out of the following recipe to thicken it a little  in order to decorate skirt.
*Make sure you use BUTTER not margarine it makes a huge difference in the icing


Frosting Recipe:
Original Recipe Yield2 -1/2 cups

Ingredients
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Directions
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla. Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered until ready to decorate.




Pin It
Smash Cake for my 1 yr old

No comments:

Post a Comment